In the Navigli circle along Via Fatebenefratelli, just beyond Ponte Marcellino, stood the Theobroma chocolate factory, founded in 1900 by the confectionery industrialist Giuseppe Bianchi.
The confectionery factory was named after the classification that Linneo made of the plant from which chocolate is then produced: Theobroma cacao.
On the left was Theobroma’s mill, which was used to produce chocolate, while along Via Borgonuovo, there was the elegant pastry shop of the same name where the factory’s products were sold.
The latter was one of the city’s most aristocratic haunts, popular especially with the nobility.
Theobroma di Bianchi e C. disappeared before 17 March 1929, when work began on the Cerchia dei Navigli.
Source: Milano Scomparsa